What’s in a Box?
Wycombe Museum has a selection of loan boxes available for you to use at your venue, either independently or as follow-up to a visit. They’re perfect for schools, reminiscence groups, community groups and more.
Each box contains a collection of objects and photos based around a theme. Themes range from Victorian laundry and mystery household objects to chair making tools and design. We are always increasing the range of themes our loan boxes cover – if you have something specific in mind not listed below, please ask!
Boxes can be loaned for 2 weeks. Boxes can be borrowed for free if the class also books a hands-on session with Wycombe Museum.
Boxes need returning before an agreed date. Failure to return the box in time may result in a ban from the service.
Guidelines for Caring for Museum Objects
We are aware that accidents can and do happen but there are a few things to remember that minimise this happening.
- Always assume the object is more fragile than it is.
- Remember that an object is at most risk when it is being moved or is on open display. Please do not leave the box contents on open display whilst unsupervised.
- Make sure objects are handled over a table, preferably with a cloth or another soft surface on the top.
- Objects are affected by their environment – beware of radiators, spotlights and liquids of any sort.
And if the worst happens:
- Please let us know as soon as possible if something has been damaged – we can arrange for repairs and if possible arrange a replacement item.
- Do not attempt to repair an item yourself – sometimes a poor repair increases the damage to the object.
- Please don’t let an accident put you off borrowing items in the future.