The Wycombe Pitt Chair
A rare chair.
This is a very early Windsor chair, the oldest in the Museum – from about 1740. It was made by John Pitt of Slough, one of the earliest known Windsor chair makers and possibly the earliest maker with chairs that survive. This is one of only four remaining chairs by this maker and the only one in a Museum or public collection.
It is also rare that the original painted surface still survives. The coat of arms is for the City of Bath. It is likely that a travelling dignitary stopping in Slough for refreshment saw John Pitt’s chairs and ordered this one for a building in Bath.